- Gay and Lesbian Library Services edited by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt. McFarland, 1990. 336 pages. ISBN 9780899505350.
Co-winner of the 1992 Blackwell Scholarship Award, for “Key Issues in the Collecting of Gay/Lesbian Library Materials” in Gay and Lesbian Library Service edited by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt (McFarland, 1990). The award is given annually by the American Library Association’s Association for Library Collections and Technical Services for “the year’s outstanding monograph, article or original paper in the field of acquisitions, collection development, and related areas of resources development in libraries.”
Reviews of Gay and Lesbian Library Service:
[list under construction]
Citations of Gay and Lesbian Library Service:
[list under construction]
“Library Outing: Revisiting Lesbian and Gay Collection Development” by Lori Ann Saeki. May 5, 2004. http://www2.hawaii.edu/~wertheim/615lgbtcdpaper.pdf
- The Booklover’s Guide to Atlanta by Cal Gough and Celeste Tibbets. Illustrations by Blanche Farley. Point of Reference, 1992. 44 pages.
Chapters in Books
- “Foreword” [pages vii-viii] to Liberating Minds: The Stories and Professional Lives of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Librarians and Their Advocates edited by Norman G. Kester. McFarland, 1997.
- “The Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Task Force of the American Library Association: A Chronology of Activities, 1970-1995” [pages 121-132] in Daring to Find Our Names: The Search for Lesbigay Library History edited by James V. Carmichael, Jr. Greenwood Press, 1998.
- “Barriers to Selecting Materials about Sexual and Gender Diversity” by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt, [pages 165-173] in Serving LGBTIQ Library and Archive Users: Essays on Outreach, Service, Collections and Access edited by Ellen Greenblatt. McFarland, 2011.
Articles in Periodicals
- “Local Librarians Help You Find the Authentic Atlanta Ambiance” by Cal Gough, James Taylor, and Celeste Tibbets. Library Journal (June 1, 1991), pages 75-82.
- “Services to Gay and Lesbian Patrons: Examining the Myths” by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt. Library Journal, Vol. 117, no. 1 (January 1992), pages 59-63.
- “Gay and Lesbian Library Materials: A Book Selector’s Toolkit” by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt. The Acquisitions Librarian, Vol. 10, No. 20 (1998), pages 151-170. Reprinted in Public Library Collection Development in the Information Age edited by Annabel K. Stephens (Haworth Press, 1998).
Note: A photo, with the caption “GLTF’s Cal Gough of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library at the Gay Pride parade in Chicago during ALA’s 109th annual conference in June,” appeared in the article “Gay/Lesbian Task Force Seeks Index Access” by Graceanne A. DeCandido and Michael Rogers, Library Journal, September 15, 1990.
- Review of Encyclopedia of Homosexuality. Reference Quarterly, vol. 30, no. 1 (January 1990), pages 116-118.
- Review of Gay and Lesbian American Plays; An Annotated Bibliography. Reference Quarterly, vol. 33, no. 3 (April 1994), pages 417-419.
- “20 Years of Atlanta Lesbian and Gay History” compiled by Dave Hayward and Cal Gough. Southern Voice, June ?, 1991.
- “Highlights of Task Force Activities, 1970-1995” compiled by Cal Gough for the 25th Anniversary Program of the American Library Association’s Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Task Force (American Library Association, 1995), pages 36-51.
- “Out in Atlanta: Atlanta’s Gay and Lesbian Communities Since Stonewall: A Chronology, 1969-2012” compiled by Cal Gough. 52 pages. Revised October 10, 2012
- A Timeline of Gay and Lesbian History in Atlanta [in progress]
Checklists, Bibliographies, and Directories
Compiled (or co-compiled) for the Information Clearinghouse of the American Library Association’s Gay and Lesbian Task Force:
- “Four Dozen Good Ones! A Highly Selective List of Recent Annotated Bibliographies by or about Lesbians or Gay Men” compiled by Cal Gough. 4 pages. 1987; revised 1989.
- “Gay/Lesbian Archives and Libraries in North America” compiled by Cal Gough, based on a checklist compiled by Alan Miller. 4 pages. 1989.
- “Directory of Gay & Lesbian Professional Groups” compiled by Cal Gough. 7 pages. 1989; revised 1992.
- “Selecting Materials for Gay and Lesbian Users of Public Libraries” by Cal Gough. 39 pages. 1989.
- “The Lambda Bibliography” compiled by Cal Gough. 12 pages. 1990.
- “Gays & Lesbians, Libraries & Archives: A Checklist of Publications, 1970-1990” compiled by Cal Gough, Dee Michel, and Stephen Klein. 23 pages. 1991.
- “What One Librarian Can Do to Improve Services for Lesbian and Gay Library Users” by Cal Gough and John Littlewood. 4 pages. 1991.
- “Special Collections of Gay/Lesbian Materials in North America” compiled by Cal Gough. 6 pages. 1992.
- “Publishers of Gay and Lesbian Books” compiled by Cal Gough. 8 pages. 1992.
- “Bookstores and Mail Order Firms Specializing in Books for Gays/Lesbians/Feminists” compiled by Cal Gough. 14 pages. Revised 1992
- “Famous or Distinguished Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals: A List of Names” compiled by Cal Gough, Ellen Greenblatt, and John Van Buskirk. 29 pages. 1992.
- “American Library Association Policies of Special Interest to Lesbians and Gay Men”” compiled by Cal Gough. 5 pages. Revised 1992.
- Rainbow. “A newsletter-like hodgepodge of information contributed by and circulated among a network of friends and acquaintances for our mutual education and enjoyment.” [1 issue: September 1978]
- The Dairy Farm, an underground newsletter for the employees of the Georgia Regional Hospital at Atlanta [11 issues: Summer 1972- April 1976)]
- The Exchange, a newsletter for the employees of the Georgia Regional Hospital at Atlanta. [92 issues: August 1973 – September 1977]
- Money Matters, a newsletter for Georgia’s community health center directors. [10 issues, with three predecessor issues, September 1977 – February 1979]
- Selection List News, for approximately one hundred materials selectors working for the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, [45 issues, April 1997-December 2000]
- Nincompoopery News, an underground newsletter highlighting the absurdities of working in the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library’s Central Library, and in particular satirizing the library system’s board of trustees. [Single 4-page issue: June 1998.]
- Cal Gough’s Blog [created December 2009}: https://calgough.wordpress.com
- Atlanta Booklover’s Blog [created March 2009] http://atlantareader.wordpress.com
- AFPLWATCH [insert start and end dates]
See also: List of Unpublished Documents